I am so happy to share Kodo’s new production “MEGURU” with audiences throughout Japan this month and next.
MEGURU means to revolve or come full circle. Based on that theme, I carefully crafted this programme from all new pieces, each created with a focus on conjuring scenery with sound.
All things in nature loop, there are no exceptions.
The sun and moon, water and life, they all revolve without exception.
All things that begin come to an end, then begin again. Beyond space and time, over and over again.
This phenomenon extends to spiritual things, too, such as souls and people’s feelings.
Such cycles have turned for thousands of years, and perhaps the tales people hand down through time have influenced us unknowingly.
I’ve come to think that if people from different countries or cultures can imagine scenery in the same way, then an individual’s own memories or knowledge aren’t the only things that shape their perceptions.
So, what do we have in common?
Throughout time, I think we humans have always sought an understanding of the senses shared by all human beings, and this pursuit has continually led us into contact with the arts.
There are various artistic activities, such as art and music, but none of them are necessities for humans to live their lives.
Even so, humans throughout time have foregone sleep to draw pictures and to create music.
I too have moments when I only want to create music.
I get this feeling of wanting to give shape to something that lies somewhere within me.
I want to hear my soul’s voice.
That kind of impulse is like a tale in itself that has come around and around again. It’s also what I want to depict through this work.
I hope MEGURU will take us on a journey together in pursuit of that soul, a journey that circles imaginary scenery evoked by Kodo’s sound.
We will cherish each and every sound as we perform to facilitate this quest with our audience.
- Nov 3 (Sat), 2018 Mitoyo-shi Bunka Kaikan Marine Wave, Mitoyo, Kagawa
- Nov 4 (Sun), 2018 Matsuyama City Community Center Bunka Hall, Matsuyama, Ehime
- Nov 7 (Wed), 2018 Kochi City Culture Plaza Cul-Port, Kochi City
- Nov 9 (Fri), 2018 Aster Plaza Main Hall, Hiroshima City
- Nov 10 (Sat), 2018 Kikukawa Community Hall (Avenir), Shimonoseki, Yamaguchi
- Nov 13 (Tue), 2018 Kurashiki Geibunkan, Kurashiki, Okayama
- Nov 15 (Thu), 2018 Tottori Shimin Kaikan, Tottori City
- Nov 17 (Sat), 2018 Sinfonia Iwakuni, Iwakuni, Yamaguchi
- Nov 21 (Wed), 2018 – Nov 22 (Thu), 2018 Morinomiya Piloti Hall, Osaka City
- Nov 23 (Fri), 2018 – Nov 24 (Sat), 2018 Biwako Hall Center for the Performing Arts Shiga Theatre Hall, Otsu, Shiga
- Nov 27 (Tue), 2018 Kariya Cultural Center, Kariya, Aichi
- Nov 28 (Wed), 2018 Valor Cultural Hall (Tajimi City Cultural Hall), Tajimi, Gifu
- Nov 30 (Fri), 2018 Niigata Prefectural Civic Center, Niigata City
- Dec 1 (Sat), 2018 Nagano City Arts Center Main Hall, Nagano City
- Dec 7 (Fri), 2018 Funabashi Shimin Bunka Hall, Funabashi, Chiba
- Dec 8 (Sat), 2018 Chigasaki Shimin Bunka Kaikan, Chigasaki, Kanagawa
- Dec 9 (Sun), 2018 Kumagaya Bunka Sozo-kan Sakuramate, Kumagaya, Saitama
- Dec 11 (Tue), 2018 Kanagawa Kenmin Hall, Yokohama, Kanagawa
- Dec 13 (Thu), 2018 Fujimi Shimin Bunka Kaikan (Kirari Fujimi), Fujimi, Saitama
- Dec 15 (Sat), 2018 Chofu-shi Green Hall (Large Hall), Chofu, Tokyo
- Dec 16 (Sun), 2018 Fussa Shimin Kaikan Main Hall (Mokusei Hall), Fussa, Tokyo
- Dec 19 (Wed), 2018 – Dec 23 (Sun), 2018 Bunkyo Civic Hall (Main Hall), Bunkyo Ward, Tokyo