Since the group’s debut at Berliner Festspiele in 1981, Kodo has spent over four decades touring the globe, connecting people with the visceral, resonant sound of taiko.
- Touring activities resumed after COVID-19 restrictions were lifted throughout Japan and abroad.
Ventured abroad for the first time in two years for the “Kodo One Earth: Tsuzumi” Europe Tour. However, due to the impact of COVID-19 and the Russian invasion of Ukraine, seven of the scheduled 29 performances were canceled or rescheduled. Held an additional performance especially for evacuees from Ukraine in Tallinn, Estonia, ahead of the tour finale there.
Premiered two new touring works “Kodo One Earth Tour: Cycles” and “Noism x Kodo ‘Oni’,” a collaboration with Niigata-based dance company Noism. Annual festival Earth Celebration was held in-person for the first time in three years, with one livestreamed concert for those unable to travel to Sado Island. Kodo Taiko School launched a new offering: the Exadon Facilitator Training Course.
- Commemorated the group’s 40th anniversary with four new works, including touring production “Warabe” and “Inochi,” the first-ever Kodo and orchestra collaboration composed by a Kodo member. The ongoing COVID-19 pandemic continued to hinder Kodo’s performance activities, pushing the ensemble to develop a range of new offerings for during the pandemic and beyond. Livestreamed several major performances: Kodo Sado Island Performances in Shukunegi, Earth Celebration, and Kodo Performance in Asakusa “Ayumi.” Appeared in guitarist MIYAVI’s virtual concert event, “MIYAVI in KIYOMIZU.” Release of the first feature film starring Kodo, ”Shiver,” directed by Toshiaki Toyoda. Collaborated with UK creative company Pitch & Sync to produce “Kodo Together,” a series of albums featuring Kodo with artists from around the world. Performed on the soundtrack of popular role-playing game Genshin Impact. Appeared in world premiere of Ihab Darwish’s “Hekayat” at Abu Dhabi Festival 2021, held virtually. Launched Kodo Taiko School, offering online taiko classes led by Kodo members. Release of TAIKO-1, a new electronic taiko co-developed by Roland and Kodo.
- Tour – Kodo One Earth Tour Japan performances of 40th Anniversary Commemorative Work I “Tsuzumi.” Due to the global spread of COVID-19, the “Kodo One Earth Tour: Legacy” Europe tour was disrupted, all 24 performances of new Kodo x Robert LePage collaboration “NOVA” were canceled, and numerous other Kodo performances were canceled and postponed. With touring suspended, Kodo explored new online possibilities such as live stream performances, providing music for collaborative works, and recording digital albums. Annual festival “Earth Celebration” was held online for the first time ever. Launch of Kodo Heartbeat Radio. Release of digital albums “The Heartbeat Laboratories ‘Alatane’ Vol. 1 & 2.” Provided music for So Kuramoto production “Yane.” Launched collaboration with baseball team Yomiuri Giants to create taiko music for their games at Tokyo Dome.
- Tour – Kodo One Earth Tour North America and China* performances of “Evolution.” Japan performances of “Michi.” Presented Kodo Special Performance in Asakusa “Iki,” featuring a surprise finale: locals joined Kodo on stage carrying a portable shrine used at Sanja Matsuri. Appearance at Rugby World Cup Opening Ceremony by Kodo member Yuta Sumiyoshi. Appearances at Trilateral Arts Festival 2019 (Incheon, South Korea) and opening event for Japan National Stadium. Presented Kodo “Sen no Mai”—Chieko Kojima Performance Career 40th Anniversary Concert. Launched “Kodo One Earth Music,” a new outreach initiative that aims to make it easier for the taiko community to share, learn, and play new taiko compositions. Release of first One Earth Music composition, “Shunpuu.”
*First performances in mainland China in 19 years.
- Tour – Kodo One Earth Tour Europe performances of “Evolution.” Japan performances of “Michi.” Premiere of “MEGURU,” followed by Japan tour. Accompanied performances of new Kabuki production “Yugen” at Kabukiza Theater, Tokyo. France performances of “Kodo New Generation,” hosted by Théâtre du Soleil, Paris. Egypt performances presented by The Japan Foundation. Russian Performance Tour “Golden Autumn 2018: Russian Agricultural Exhibition,” presented by Russian Ministry of Agriculture. Collaboration with vocaloid Hatsune Miku in “Hatsune Miku x Kodo Special Live Performance 2018.” Main stage performance at Fuji Rock Festival ’18. Held “Taiko Warabe Goju-nen”: Yoshikazu Fujimoto Performance Career 50th Anniversary Concert.
- Tour – Japan performances of Tamasaburo Bando x Kodo Special Performance “Yugen,” Kodo Premium Concert “An Invitation from Tamasaburo Bando into the World of Kodo,” “Michi,” and “Spirited Summer.” Japan and North America performances of “DADAN 2017.” Taiko workshop tour in Europe. Collaboration with vocaloid Hatsune Miku in “Hatsune Miku x Kodo Special Live Performance.” Appeared at Sayuri Ishikawa 45th Anniversary Commemorative Recital. Performed on AI single “Saigo wa Kanarazu Seigi ga Katsu.” Appeared at “NO LIMITS SPECIAL 2017 UENO,” presented by Tokyo Metropolitan Government. Appeared at ISETAN BON DANCE 2017 at Shinjuku Isetan. Announced collaboration with Roland to develop the world’s first electronic katsugi taiko.
- 35th anniversary celebrations, including commemorative concert with New Japan Philharmonic of new works by Toshiro Saruya and Sunao Isaji. Tour – Kodo One Earth Tour Japan performances of “Spiral.” Appeared at Japan Festival of Arts “Super Japan” in Singapore to commemorate the 50th anniversary of diplomatic relations between Japan and Singapore. Appeared at Korea Japan Exchange Festival 2016 in Seoul, Korea. Performances in Vietnam. New Kodo piece launched on ANA “Is Japan Cool?” website. New format introduced for Kodo and Sado Island’s international arts festival “Earth Celebration.”
- Tour – Kodo One Earth Tour North America performances of “Mystery,” Japan performances of “Eternity” and “Chaos.” Performances of Kodo “DADAN” in Tokyo & Hong Kong. “Kodo Special Performances on Sado Island” in Japan. Encore season of “Amaterasu.” Premiere of “Kodo Special Performance: Michi.” Appeared in “Kaguyahime: The Moon Princess” with Les Grands Ballets Canadiens de Montreal, Canada. First “School Workshop Performances” abroad in Canada. Concerts and exchange through “Project Connect Asia with Traditional Performing Arts” in Bali, Indonesia. Tunable okedo daiko (barrel drum) designed by Masayuki Sakamoto, “Kanade,” received a 2015 Good Design Award.
- Tour – Kodo One Earth Tour Europe performances of “Legend,” Japan performances of “Mystery” and “Eternity.” Kodo “DADAN” performances in France & Spain. “Kodo Special Performances on Sado Island” in Japan. Hanayui Hawaii Tour. Opening of Fukaura Gakusha (Fukaura Schoolhouse). Kodo Cultural Foundation “Community Development Course” commenced with a trial trainee intake. “EXADON” initiative launched to offer taiko on Sado Island as exercise to prevent dementia. “Legend” DVD and “Mystery” album released.
- Tour – USA and Japan for “Kodo One Earth Tour: Legend.” First performance series at Asakusa Public Hall. Sold out all 67 performances of “Amaterasu” in Tokyo, Fukuoka, and Kyoto. Appeared in ballet performance “Kaguyahime” at Opéra National de Paris’ Palais Garnier. Appeared in “Tamasaburo Bando Special Performances” at the Old Konpira Oshibai Kabuki Theater (Kanamaru-za). Held “Kodo Special Performances on Sado Island.” Debut performances of “Kodo One Earth Tour: Mystery.” Participated in recording of Fuyumi Sakamoto’s “Otoko no Himatsuri.” Yoshikazu Fujimoto and Chieko Kojima sent abroad as “Japan Cultural Envoys from the Agency for Cultural Affairs.”
- Tour – Sweden, Denmark, Germany, Ireland, Switzerland, Austria, Italy, France, Netherlands, Luxembourg, Belgium for “Kodo 30th Anniversary One Earth Tour” performances, Japan for new production “Kodo One Earth Tour 2012: Legend.” Invited Tamasaburo Bando to become artistic director. First performances abroad of Kodo “Dadan” at Paris’ Théâtre du Châtelet, France. Held “Kodo Special Performances on Sado Island.” Appeared in “Kodo & TaikOz in Concert” collaboration tour in Australia. Appeared in “Kaguyahime: The Moon Princess” with Les Grands Ballets Canadiens de Montreal, Canada. Appeared in “Hanayui USA Tour.” Founding members of Kodo become “Distinguished Members.”
- Tour – USA, Canada, and Japan for “Kodo 30th Anniversary One Earth Tour.” Released Kodo 30th Anniversary Special Album “Akatsuki.” Appearance in Hibiki no Mori Bunkyo Civic Hall 10th Anniversary Fumi no Miyako Special Performance “Tokyo Philharmonic x Kodo.” Appearance in Taro Okamoto 100th Birthday Event. Featured in WOWOW Special Program “Blue Man x Kodo – BLUE MAN MEETS WADAIKO!” Appearance in the Royal Variety Performance 2011. Awarded a Community Contribution Award by the Ogi Chamber of Commerce, Sado Island. Kodo Cultural Foundation became a Public Interest Corporation.
- Tour – Netherlands, Finland, Denmark, Germany, UK, Ireland, Russia, Israel, Switzerland, Austria, Japan. Appeared in “Kaguyahime” at the Opéra national de Paris. Encore performances of Kodo “Ubusuna” and Kodo “Dadan.” Collaborations with Corsican vocal group A Filetta on Sado Island and in Corsica, France. Release of DVD Kodo “Dadan.”
- Tour- Canada, USA, Italy, Croatia, UK, Greece, Turkey, Germany, France, Spain, Belgium, Switzerland, Japan. Performances of “Monoprism” in Italy with the Orchestra dell’Accademia Nazionale di Santa Cecilia. Collaboration performances with taiko ensemble TaikOz in Australia. Kodo “Dadan” performances directed by Tamasaburo Bando and Kodo “Ubusuna” performances held in Japan.
- Tour- UK, Ireland, Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany, Netherlands, Switzerland, Brazil, Argentina, Japan. South American tour held in honor of the centennial celebration of Japanese Immigration to Brazil and Argentina. Performance of “Monoprism” at “Kodo December Concert” with the New Japan Philharmonic.
- Tour- USA, Canada, Japan. Earth Celebration 20th Anniversary. The “Amaterasu” project with Tamasaburo Bando performed at the historical Kabuki-za theater in Tokyo. “Horaii-kitan” collaboration with Kyogen performers. Kodo Cultural Foundation entrusted with the management of the Sado Island Taiko Centre.
- Tour – Belgium, UK, Portugal, Germany, Netherlands, Spain, Japan. “Amaterasu”- collaborative performance series with Tamasaburo Bando in Tokyo and Kyoto (including first apperance at Kyoto’s Minami-za Kabuki Theater). Performance at Fuji Rock Festival in Niigata, Japan. Release of Kodo 25th Anniversary CD “Heartbeat” on Sony Records.
- Tour – USA, Canada, Japan (including first appearance at National Theatre Okinawa with Ryukyuan classical dancer Takako Sato). Release of CD “Prism Rhythm” on Sony Records.
- Tour – UK, Portugal, Belgium, Germany, Italy (including first appearance at Teatro San Carlo de Napoli), Switzerland (first appearance at Kultur Kongresszentrum in Luzern and sold out 5 day concert) and Japan. Release of CD and DVD “One Earth Tour Special” on Sony Records.
- Tours – USA, Japan First workshop tour presented by Kodo Arts Sphere America (KASA) in North America.Kodo Cultural Foundation sponsors “Earth Furniture”, a project designed to use regional materials in a self-sustaining local industry.
First book by “Kodo Books”, “The Tub Boats of Sado Island, A Japanese Craftsman’s Methods” published.
“The Kodo One Earth Tour Special”, directed by Tamasaburo Bando makes a 25-show run in Tokyo, Nagoya, Osaka, Niigata and Sado.
- Tours – USA, Japan Establishment of “Kodo Arts Sphere America” (KASA) in North America. Appearance in FIFA World Cup™ Korea/Japan live events (First-match cultural event, official concert, championship game festivities).
Participation in Chinese motion picture “HERO” soundtrack (Music composed by Tan Dun).
Release of CD- FIFA 2002 World Cup™ Official Anthem
- Tour – USA, UK, Germany, Austria, Norway, Finland, Estonia, Japan
Nobel Peace Prize 100th Anniversary Concert (Dec. 11)
- Tour – USA, Canada, Korea, China, UK, Netherland, Belgium, Germany (Berlin Philharmonie Hall), Switzerland, Italy, Japan
- Tour – USA, Japan
First Koryu Gakko Koen Tour
- Tour – Switzerland, France (sold-out 5-day concert at Theatre de la Ville in Paris), Croatia, Greece, Turkey, Ireland, Portugal, Germany, Belgium, Britain (1st Royal Festival Hall appearance sold-out 5-day concert), Japan.
- Tour – America and Canada incl. 2-day concert at Carnegie Hall, Japan. Release of CD “Ibuki.” Establishment of Kodo Cultural Foundation. Earth Celebration 10th Anniversary.
- Tour – Belgium, Holland, France, Germany, Britain (incl. two weeks sold-out Sadler’s Wells Theatre, London), Israel (sold-out performances in Tel Aviv, Emek, Jerusalem), Japan.
- Tour – America incl. sold-out 1st Carnegie Hall appearance, Belgium, France (1st Theatre de la Ville appearance – sold out 5-day concert), Switzerland, Italy, Greece (The Odeon of Herodes Attikus at Acropolis – sold out 2-day concert with 9000 audience), Japan.
- Tour – America, Japan. “Kodo” receives the MIDEM Music Video (Long Form) Award at the 3rd International Visual Music Festival in Cannes. Japanese Foreign Ministry award for contribution to exports through Earth Celebration and overseas tours.
- Tour – America, Canada, Portugal (Mitsui sponsored “Close-up of Japan” festival), Britain (incl. two weeks sold-out Sadler’s Wells, London), Taiwan, Japan.
- Tour – America, Canada, Germany (Mitsui sponsored “Close-up of Japan” festival), Italy, Switzerland, Belgium, Holland, Japan.
- Tour – America, Canada, Japan. Special small group “Kodo San’nin Gurui” performs in Ghana, Nigeria, Senegal. Kodo Juku drum workshops held in Northern Ireland as part of UK “Japan Festival”. 1st annual “Gathering” 3-day concert series Orchard Hall, Shibuya, Tokyo.
- Tour – America (incl. one week sold-out New York City Center), France, Britain (incl. two weeks sold-out Sadler’s Wells, London), Japan. CD “Irodori” receives Gold Disc Award for Japanese classical music.
- Tour – America, Canada, West Germany, Switzerland, Belgium, France, Japan. First “Kodo Juku” drum workshop.
- Tour – America (incl. one week sold-out New York City Center), Trinidad & Tobago, Venezuela, Brazil (80th anniversary of Japanese immigration), Colombia, Japan, Australia (200th anniversary celebrations). Opening of Kodo Village. 1st annual “Earth Celebration” international arts festival on Sado Island.
- Tour – America , Canada, Britain (incl. two weeks sold-out Sadler’s Wells, London), France, West Germany, East Germany (Berlin 750th anniversary at Berlin Philharmony Hall ), Holland, Japan.
- Tour – Taiwan, Hong Kong, Turkey, (“Japan Week” festival), Indonesia (Bali Arts Festival), Malaysia, Japan.
- Tour – America (incl.Kennedy Center etc.), Canada, Britain (incl. Edinburgh Festival), Holland, Italy, Switzerland, France, Japan.
- Tour – Taiwan, Hong Kong, China, Italy, France, Switzerland, Britain, Sweden, Denmark, West Germany, Holland, America. Sold-out performances at Los Angeles Olympics Arts Festival.
- Tour – Japan.
- Tour – America (incl. Lincoln center etc.), Canada, Mexico, Japan.
- Formation of “Kodo”. Debut at ’81 Berlin Festival. Tour – Italy, San Marino, West Germany, Japan.
- 1971 to 1981
- Kodo’s antecedant group ‘Sado no Kuni Ondekoza’ active on Sado Island.