We’d like to make it easier for people to play our music.
Anyone, anywhere, any time.
Have a go at playing Kodo One Earth Music!
❶ “Shunpuu” (Composed by Kodo, 2019)
❷ “Uneri” (Composed by Kodo, 2020)
❸ “Haruka” (Composed by Kodo, 2021)
Please click on the photos below for details about each piece, including sheet music and performance videos.
About Kodo One Earth Music
Kodo One Earth Music compositions are original pieces composed by Kodo, created so people around the world can enjoy playing our music more freely. Anyone, anywhere, any time.
To help make it easier for many people to learn and perform this music, we have:
・posted Kodo One Earth Music reference videos on YouTube.
・made free downloadable sheet music available.
・relaxed some of the usage restrictions, such as the need to request copyright permission.
If you have any questions or want to discuss these Terms, please contact us via the inquiries form at the bottom of this page.
1. In the event of inconsistency or discrepancy between the Japanese version and the English version of these Terms and Conditions, the Japanese language version shall prevail.
2. Words in the singular include the plural and vice versa.
These Terms are defined by Kodo’s management and performance planning and production company Kitamaesen Co., Ltd. in regards to the possible extent and conditions of use of Kodo One Earth Music compositions (defined in Article 1, Section 2) by users (defined in Article 1, Section 3). According to these Terms, Kitamaesen Co., Ltd., gives authorization to users to use Kodo One Earth Music, to which it holds the rights.
Users who perform, duplicate, and otherwise use Kodo One Earth Music compositions and sheet music are deemed to have agreed to all articles within these Terms.
Article 1 (Definitions)
This refers to Kitamaesen Co., Ltd., a management and performance planning and production company for Kodo, which is a performance group that carries out stage performance and musical activities centered on playing taiko (Japanese drums). All of Kodo’s activities are carried out under the management and supervision of Kitamaesen.
(2) Kodo One Earth Music
This refers to a group of musical compositions that Kitamaesen has designated as subject to having authorized use in these Terms, selected from amongst music and lyrics that were composed by Kodo and/or Kodo members and subsequently had all rights such as copyrights, etc., transferred to Kitamaesen. Furthermore, Kitamaesen has made a list of the aforementioned group of compositions on the Kodo One Earth Music webpage (URL: https://www.kodo.or.jp/en/about_en/kodo-one-earth-music) on its official website.
This refers to parties who perform or otherwise use Kodo One Earth Music.
Article 2 (Authorized Use)
1. Kitamaesen consents to users carrying out the following actions in accordance with each article of these Terms, whether for profit or not for profit. (With the exception of users with juridical personality, such as corporations, who are asked to follow the rules in the next section.)
(1) All methods and manners of use of Kodo One Earth Music (performance, teaching, uploading of performance videos, printing and distribution of sheet music, etc.)
(2) All methods and manners of use of the Kodo One Earth Music performance reference videos that Kitamaesen creates and shares on the Kodo One Earth Music webpage referred to in Article 1, Section 2. (re-uploading, altering, editing, etc.)
2. Users with juridical personality, such as corporations, who intend to carry out any of the following actions for profit, shall submit a request to Kitamaesen in advance outlining their intended manner of use and receive Kitamaesen’s consent before carrying out the aforementioned actions.
(1) Making video or audio recordings of a performance of Kodo One Earth Music, and duplicating, presenting, screening, publicly transmitting, or otherwise distributing the aforementioned video or audio recordings.
(2) After recording or saving Kodo One Earth Music performance reference videos that Kitamaesen creates and shares on the Kodo One Earth Music webpage referred to in Article 1, Section 2, re-uploading that content to a website or social media account, or carrying out any other secondary use of that content. Also, in the case of the aforementioned secondary use, changing any part or editing the content of the aforementioned performance reference videos.
3. If users make a video or audio recording of their own performance of Kodo One Earth Music and upload the aforementioned video or audio recording to the internet, users shall be deemed to have given advance consent to Kitamaesen to share or repost the aforementioned video or audio recording on its own social media accounts or website for publicity and introductory purposes.
Article 3 (Conditions of Use)
Users, in the event of use outlined in the preceding article, can use Kodo One Earth Music in accordance with all of the items listed below, and shall adhere to all of the items listed below.
(1) In the event of sharing their performance, audio recording, or video recording of a Kodo One Earth Music composition with the public, as a rule, users must note in writing the title of the aforementioned Kodo One Earth Music composition and Kodo as its composer in a place (descriptions accompanying videos, printed matter such as programmes distributed at performances or similar, signs displayed at venues, etc.) that is noticeable to the people who listen to the user’s performance.
(2) In the case that the note in writing in the previous section is difficult to make, users shall endeavor as best they can to include the title of the Kodo One Earth Music composition they will perform and Kodo as the composer in any verbal announcements or explanations made at the performance venue.
(3) In the event of sharing their performance, audio recording, or video recording of a Kodo One Earth Music composition with the public, when noting in writing or explaining the title of the aforementioned Kodo One Earth Music composition, users shall not change the composition title of the aforementioned Kodo One Earth Music in the notation or explanation.
(4) Users shall be able to freely arrange or modify the content of a Kodo One Earth Music composition (the content refers to the type of performance instruments, the content of each instrument’s part, the tempo, melody line, etc.).
(5) In the event of modifying the content of a Kodo One Earth Music composition in line with the provisions in the previous section, users shall be able to change the written content of Kodo One Earth Music sheet music created and distributed by Kitamaesen to reflect the aforementioned changes to the Kodo One Earth Music composition, and furthermore, shall be able to duplicate the changed Kodo One Earth Music sheet music and distribute it to parties who wish to perform that modified version of the Kodo One Earth Music composition.
(6) Upon making audio recordings of their own performance of a Kodo One Earth Music composition, users shall be able to upload the aforementioned audio to the internet as background music for other videos of their own. However, the aforementioned other videos must not be defamatory toward Kitamaesen or the taiko performance group Kodo, slander or insult others, or violate public order.
(7) In the event of using Kodo One Earth Music, users must not be defamatory toward Kitamaesen and the taiko performance group Kodo, nor use Kodo One Earth Music for the purpose of slandering or insulting others.
(8) Users shall not use Kodo One Earth Music in a situation that violates public order.
(9) In the event of using Kodo One Earth Music in such a way that violates the stipulations of these Terms, users shall immediately cease use of Kodo One Earth Music.
Article 4 (Exemption from Responsibility)
Kitamaesen does not make any guarantees in relation to Kodo One Earth Music, including non-infringement of third party rights, absence of defects, etc. Excluding cases of wilful intent or gross negligence, Kitamaesen takes no responsibility for any damage caused to users by these Terms or use of Kodo One Earth Music in accordance with these Terms.
Article 5 (Changes to Terms)
1. Kitamaesen shall be able to change these Terms as required in the following cases:
(1) In the event of a change in Kitamaesen’s course of action in regards to Kodo One Earth Music;
(2) When a change to related laws and ordinance has occurred;
(3) When there is an error related to the legal interpretation or wording of the contents of these Terms;
(4) When a considerable loss for Kitamaesen occurs, or is liable to occur due to the contents of these Terms;
(5) Other cases, when Kitamaesen deems it necessary.
2. In the event of changes to these Terms, Kitamaesen shall post the fact of the change, the contents of the change, and the effective date of the Terms after the change, on its website, etc., at least 7 days before the aforementioned effective date. Furthermore, if users commence use or continue use of Kodo One Earth Music after the aforementioned effective date, users will be deemed to have agreed to the changes to these Terms.
Article 6 (End of Provision)
1. In regards to the authorized use of Kodo One Earth Music by users according to these Terms, Kitamaesen is able to terminate the aforementioned authorized use at its discretion at any time. In that situation, regarding the use of compositions for which authorized use has been terminated, the relationship between Kitamaesen and the users will be governed by the Copyright Act and other applicable laws and ordinances.
2. Except in situations defined in the previous section, authorized use for Kodo One Earth Music according to these Terms shall terminate at the same time as the termination of the duration of the copyright rights under the copyright laws of the aforementioned Kodo One Earth Music.
3. Kitamaesen will not be liable for any damage caused to users by the termination or similar of authorized use for Kodo One Earth Music according to these Terms.
Article 7 (Jurisdiction)
The first court of jurisdiction for any dispute regarding these Terms shall be the Niigata District Court, Japan.
Kodo One Earth Music Around the World
We love seeing videos of people around the world playing Kodo One Earth Music.
We’d like to share these with our followers via our website and on social media.
Please share your videos with these hashtags: #kodoshunpuu #kodouneri #kodoharuka #oneearthmusic
And tag us: @kodoheartbeat
Inquiries about Kodo One Earth MusicAny questions about Kodo One Earth Music? Contact us using this form.
Header Photo: Members of Shido, Mihara-shichi Elementary School (Awaji Island, Hyogo), performing with Kodo.