Soul-Stirring, Resounding Kodo
Rousing, Resonant Taiko
Herein Lies the Essence of Kodo
“Legacy” is based on the core repertoire that Kodo has upheld for almost half a century, since the days of its antecedent group, Sado no Kuni Ondekoza (1971-81).
This powerful work focuses on preserving Kodo’s unique “DNA” by drawing on the iconic form found within classic Kodo pieces and carefully sharing the essence of those traditions with the next generation.
Honed through extensive tours in 2018–2019, under its Japanese title “Michi,” we are excited to share this program in Europe for the first time in early 2020!
I’d like to personally invite you all to join us at the theater to experience our sound in person.
Taiko is a simple instrument: if you beat it, it makes a sound. However, the sounds and echoes that resonate from this instrument are intricate and diverse. No two are alike.
Naturally, the sound reflects things like the physique, age, and background of the individual who beats the drum.
So, when people who train everyday to hone their expression through kind of instrument, the sound they create jolts people on instinctive level, beyond the possibilities of any language.“Michi,” centers around the repertoire that we, Kodo, have upheld for almost half a century since the days of our antecedent group, Sado no Kuni Ondekoza.
While preserving some of the classic artistic elements that are “quintessential Kodo,” we will also lay cornerstones for brand new creative activities moving forward.To uphold classics simultaneously means to change, and that requires supple bodies and thinking.
We seek the true essence of the classics we uphold, treasuring the journey along the roadas we go back and forth, over and over, between the past and present. This performance is something you can only experience in person, here and now.
This is soul-stirring, resounding Kodo.
Yuichiro Funabashi, Director
To include Miyake, Monochrome, O-daiko, Yatai-bayashi, and more.
Photos: Takashi Okamoto
- Feb 1 (Sat), 2020 Crocus City Hall , Moscow, Russia
- Feb 3 (Mon), 2020 Oktyabrskyi Concert Hall, St. Petersburg, Russia
- Feb 4 (Tue), 2020 Dailes Theatre, Riga, Latvia SOLD OUT
- Feb 6 (Thu), 2020 Compensa Hall Vilnius, Vilnius, Lithuania
- Feb 9 (Sun), 2020 Concert Hall Vatroslav Lisinski, Zagreb, Croatia
- Feb 11 (Tue), 2020 Salle Pleyel, Paris, France SOLD OUT
- Feb 13 (Thu), 2020 The Anvil, Basingstoke, United Kingdom
- Feb 14 (Fri), 2020 Warwick Arts Centre, Butterworth Hall, Warwick, United Kingdom
- Feb 16 (Sun), 2020 Lighthouse, Poole, United Kingdom
- Feb 18 (Tue), 2020 Tonhalle Düsseldorf, Dusseldorf, Germany
- Feb 23 (Sun), 2020 - Feb 24 (Mon), 2020 Concertgebouw Brugge, Bruges, Belgium –Special Concert “‘Kodo Meets The Voices of South Africa”–
- Feb 28 (Fri), 2020 - Feb 29 (Sat), 2020 Le Grand Théâtre de Provence, Aix-en-Provence, France
- Mar 3 (Tue), 2020 - Mar 4 (Wed), 2020 Teatro Dal Verme, Milan, Italy [CANCELED]
- Mar 7 (Sat), 2020 Teatro Verdi, Florence, Italy [CANCELED]
- Mar 9 (Mon), 2020 Auditorium Parco della Musica - Sala Santa Cecilia, Rome, Italy [CANCELED]
- Mar 11 (Wed), 2020 Theater Casino Zug, Zug, Switzerland
- Mar 13 (Fri), 2020 - Mar 14 (Sat), 2020 Royal Festival Hall, Southbank Centre, London, United Kingdom
- Mar 15 (Sun), 2020 Liverpool Philharmonic Hall, Liverpool, United Kingdom
- Mar 18 (Wed), 2020 Polish National Radio Symphony Orchestra (NOSPR) Concert Hall, Katowice, Poland [CANCELED]
- Mar 21 (Sat), 2020 - Mar 22 (Sun), 2020 Gasteig, Philharmonie, Munich, Germany [CANCELED]
- Mar 24 (Tue), 2020 Barclaycard-Arena Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany [Canceled]
- Mar 26 (Thu), 2020 Kulturpalast Dresden, Dresden, Germany [CANCELED]
- Mar 28 (Sat), 2020 Kultur- und Kongresszentrum Liederhalle, Stuttgart, Germany [CANCELED]
- Apr 1 (Wed), 2020 Berliner Philharmonie, Berlin, Germany [CANCELED]