Let your soul dance to the rhythm of life.
In Japanese, the word “Kodo” holds a double meaning. It can be translated as “heartbeat,” the primal source of all rhythm. However, our group’s name is written with different characters, which mean “drum” and “child.” This reflects Kodo’s desire to play the drums with the simple heart of a child. For our 40th anniversary, we created two works based on our name: “Tsuzumi” takes its name and theme from the drum character, and “Warabe” from the child element.
In “Warabe,” Kodo looks to its classic repertoire and aesthetics from the ensemble’s early days. This production blends simple forms of taiko expression that celebrate the unique sound, resonance, and physicality synonymous with Kodo—forever children of the drum at heart.
Come and experience the soul-stirring rhythm of life firsthand.
This work will premiere on Sado Island in Sep. 2021 and tour throughout Japan from Nov. 2021 through Spring 2022.
Eiichi Saito, Kenta Nakagome, Shogo Komatsuzaki, Yuta Sumiyoshi, Jun Jidai, Koki Miura, Ryotaro Leo Ikenaga, Reo Kitabayashi, Masayasu Maeda, Chie Yamawaki, Shun Takuma, Moe Niiyama, Jumpei Nonaka
*Subject to change without notice.
Dec. 1 Update: For reasons related to his physical condition, Seita Saegusa has been replaced by Jun Jidai.
- Sep 18 (Sat), 2021 Amusement Sado, Sado Island, Niigata
- Nov 13 (Sat), 2021 Yawatahama-shi Bunka Kaikan Yume Mikan, Yawatahama, Ehime
- Nov 14 (Sun), 2021 Sunport Hall Takamatsu Main Hall, Takamatsu, Kagawa
- Nov 17 (Wed), 2021 Ueno College Hall, Hiroshima City
- Nov 19 (Fri), 2021 Fukuoka Civic Hall Main Hall, Fukuoka City
- Nov 20 (Sat), 2021 Saga City Cultural Hall Medium Hall, Saga City
- Dec 4 (Sat), 2021 Toyokawa-shi Bunka Kaikan Main Hall, Toyokawa, Aichi
- Dec 5 (Sun), 2021 Gifu Civic Auditorium Main Hall, Gifu City
- Dec 7 (Tue), 2021 Settsu City Culture Hall (Kusunoki Hall), Settsu, Osaka SOLD OUT
- Dec 11 (Sat), 2021 - Dec 12 (Sun), 2021 Kyoto Performing Arts Center Shunjuza, Kyoto City
- Dec 14 (Tue), 2021 Numazu Civic Culture Center Main Hall, Numazu, Shizuoka
- Dec 16 (Thu), 2021 Niigata Terrsa, Niigata City
- Dec 18 (Sat), 2021 Nagaoka Municipal Auditorium Main Hall, Nagaoka, Niigata SOLD OUT
- Jun 1 (Wed), 2022 Kuragi Cultural Hall, Matsusaka, Mie