For “Kodo’s Response to COVID-19 Pandemic | Concert Venue Measures and Requests,” see here.
Kodo Group Current Situation Update
Thank you all for your continued support.
Here at the Kodo Group (Kodo Taiko Performing Arts Ensemble, Kitamaesen Co., Ltd., Kodo Cultural Foundation, Otodaiku Ltd.) we are doing our utmost to maintain the safety of our members, families, and our local community, and everyone who attends our performances. We have the following measures in place:
1. COVID-19 prevention measures
• All Kodo Group members and Kodo apprentices continue to:
- check their temperature twice a day and report it to their supervisor via an online form.
- refrain from non-essential, non-urgent outings, use hand sanitizer, and regularly ventilate any shared spaces.
- practice physical distancing and wear a mask.
- keep a close eye on their health.
• As a rule, members only leave Sado Island and only host visitors from outside of Sado Island after careful consideration of the necessity to do so at this time. We tell any visitors who were planning to visit the Kodo Group about the policies we have in place. We ask them to carefully monitor their health in the lead up to their visit and to take extra care around locals (maintaining physical distance, etc.) during their stay.
2. Regarding Kodo performers
From June 1, the members of Kodo Taiko Performing Arts Ensemble resumed their training and rehearsals. They are also working on recording projects and preparing for upcoming tours, all while following infection prevention guidelines. From September, Kodo performance tours will resume in line with our newly-created COVID-19 prevention measure guidelines, which all performers and staff will follow carefully throughout the course of their activities.
Any changes regarding upcoming performances will be announced on our website.
3. Regarding Kodo staff
Some Kitamaesen and Kodo Cultural Foundation staff are working onsite at Kodo Village and some staff are working remotely.
4. Contacting the Kodo Office
Staff are available to handle inquiries in English by email and in Japanese by phone/email.
Office Hours: Weekdays 9:30–17:00 (JST)
5. Sado Island Taiko Centre (Tatakokan)
• The Centre is open for visitors.
• Staff are following the Kodo Group Standard Policies regarding infection prevention, as well as the Centre’s own operations manual so that members of the public can feel at ease when they visit, knowing that strict hygiene guidelines are being followed.
• Staff are available to answer inquiries in English by email. Office Hours: Weekdays 8:30–17:30
6. Kodo and Sado Island
In hopes of reducing the causes of concern to our supporters and the citizens of Sado Island, every Kodo member is taking extra care in their daily activities.
The Kodo Group will continue to put health and safety first by keeping in close contact with the Sado Health, Welfare and Environment Department and updating our measures based on the latest information. We are also creating an Infection Prevention and Control Procedure Manual that we can refer to during the current and any future outbreak situations.
We know it’s a difficult time for everyone. We are thinking of you and cheering you on. Please take care and stay safe.
The events that have unfolded this year have had a great impact on our organization, too.
If you are able to offer Kodo emergency support, please read our Call for Support page for details on how to help us get through this crisis.
All of us at Kodo would like to take this opportunity to send our sincere condolences and sympathy to everyone who is suffering from the effects of the spread of COVID-19, directly and indirectly, physically and mentally.
We would like to express our deepest respect for all the healthcare workers and essential workers who are working on the frontline during this pandemic. We pray for their safety.
We sincerely hope this global crisis will end quickly and that we are able to bring the feel-good sound of taiko to you all again soon.
Sep. 1, 2020
Kodo Taiko Performing Arts Ensemble
Kitamaesen Co., Ltd.
Kodo Cultural Foundation