Kodo One Earth Music Composition No. 1 —Shunpuu—
Shunpuu* (Composed by Kodo, 2019) is the first Kodo One Earth Music release.
*Note: Shunpuu means “spring breeze.”
For details about Kodo One Earth Music, please see below.
“Shunpuu” Kodo Performance Videos
We have filmed a full performance video and a video showing all the separate parts.
You’ll also find videos focusing on different parts further below.
The performances in these videos show one suggestion for instruments you could use to play Shunpuu.
As stated in the Kodo One Earth Music guidelines, please feel free to arrange the pieces to suit the number of performers and the instruments available in your group.
In the videos below, the bamboo flutes we are playing are: shinobue happon-choshi (#8) utamono (song type)
You can use other flutes as long as all players use the same type.
“Shunpuu” Individual Part Videos
These video resources will help you learn each part.
[Shunpuu] Ohira-daiko (Hirado-daiko) and shime-daiko https://youtu.be/gyFiQIuZdwA
[Shunpuu] Shinobue (bamboo flute) https://youtu.be/AfKe7fZJi_U
[Shunpuu] Nagado-daiko (Miya-daiko) https://youtu.be/RNIPtl6rsWE
[Shunpuu] Katsugi Okedo (barrel drum with shoulder strap) and Jangara (cymbals) https://youtu.be/SsAgjwaF8BY
Downloadable Sheet Music
In the event of inconsistency or discrepancy between the Japanese version and the English version of these Terms and Conditions, the Japanese language version shall prevail.
Words in the singular include the plural and vice versa.
These Terms are defined by Kodo’s management and performance planning and production company Kitamaesen Co., Ltd. in regards to the possible extent and conditions of use of Kodo One Earth Music compositions (defined in Article 1, Section 2) by users (defined in Article 1, Section 3). According to these Terms, Kitamaesen Co., Ltd., gives authorization to users to use Kodo One Earth Music, to which it holds the rights.
Users who perform, duplicate, and otherwise use Kodo One Earth Music compositions and sheet music are deemed to have agreed to all articles within these Terms.
Article 1 (Definitions)
This refers to Kitamaesen Co., Ltd., a management and performance planning and production company for Kodo, which is a performance group that carries out stage performance and musical activities centered on playing taiko (Japanese drums). All of Kodo’s activities are carried out under the management and supervision of Kitamaesen.
(2) Kodo One Earth Music
This refers to a group of musical compositions that Kitamaesen has designated as subject to having authorized use in these Terms, selected from amongst music and lyrics that were composed by Kodo and/or Kodo members and subsequently had all rights such as copyrights, etc., transferred to Kitamaesen. Furthermore, Kitamaesen has made a list of the aforementioned group of compositions on the Kodo One Earth Music webpage (URL: https://www.kodo.or.jp/en/about_en/kodo-one-earth-music) on its official website.
This refers to parties who perform or otherwise use Kodo One Earth Music.
Article 2 (Authorized Use)
- In regards to Kodo One Earth Music, Kitamaesen consents to the following actions by users in accordance with each article of these Terms:
(1) Performing Kodo One Earth Music.
(2) Making video or audio recordings of a performance by users of Kodo One Earth Music, and duplicating, presenting, screening, publicly transmitting, or otherwise distributing the aforementioned video or audio.
(3) After downloading and using Kodo One Earth Music sheet music created and distributed by Kitamaesen, and duplicating the aforementioned sheet music, distributing it to parties who wish to perform the aforementioned Kodo One Earth Music.
- In accordance with Item 2 of the preceding section, if users make video or audio recordings of their own performance of Kodo One Earth Music and upload the aforementioned video or audio recording to the internet, users shall be deemed to have given advance consent to Kitamaesen to share or repost the aforementioned video or audio recording on its own social media accounts or website for publicity and introductory purposes.
Article 3 (Conditions of Use)
Users, in the event of use outlined in the preceding article, shall adhere to all of the items listed below.
(1) Users, except in the circumstances of the section below, shall not use Kodo One Earth Music for profit, and shall not collect any nominal compensation nor accept any remuneration even in cases of not-for-profit use.
(2) When performing Kodo One Earth Music at a concert or other event, and the programme of the aforementioned concert consists of both Kodo One Earth Music and other compositions, users shall be able to accept remuneration in the following situations:
a) The presenter of the aforementioned concert sells performance tickets or similar as compensation for the entire concert.
b) Users accept money for the purpose of compensating for necessary expenses for carrying out performances at the aforementioned concert or event, such as actual transport costs.
(3) In the event of use authorized in Section 1, Items 1 and 2 of the preceding article, as a rule, users must note in writing the title of the Kodo One Earth Music composition and Kodo as its composer in a place (descriptions accompanying videos, printed matter such as programmes distributed at performances or similar, signs displayed at venues, etc.) that is noticeable to the people who listen to the users’ performance.
(4) In the case that the note in writing in the previous section is difficult to make, users shall endeavor as best they can to include the title of the Kodo One Earth Music they will perform and Kodo as the composer in any verbal announcements or explanations made at the performance venue.
(5) In the event of use authorized in Section 1, Items 1 and 2 of the previous article, when noting in writing or explaining the title of the Kodo One Earth Music they will perform, users shall not change the composition title of the aforementioned Kodo One Earth Music in the notation or explanation.
(6) In regards to Kodo One Earth Music, users shall not make changes to the type of performance instruments, number of phrase repetitions or content of solo parts, or alterations that exceed the scope of unavoidable arrangements due to users’ performance skills. If alterations exceeding the aforementioned scope (any so-called big changes to fundamental rhythm and melody lines) are to be made, users must contact Kitamaesen in advance and receive approval.
(7) In the event of making alterations to Kodo One Earth Music within the approved range according to the preceding section, users shall reflect the aforementioned alterations in the written content of the Kodo One Earth Music sheet music created and distributed by Kitamaesen, and shall duplicate the altered sheet music and distribute it to people who wish to perform that altered version of Kodo One Earth Music. Excluding these circumstances, users shall not change the written content of Kodo One Earth Music sheet music, nor duplicate or distribute sheet music with changes to the written content.
(8) In accordance with Section 1, Item 2 of the preceding article, upon making audio recordings of their own performance of Kodo One Earth Music, users shall be able to upload the aforementioned audio to the internet as background music for other videos of their own. However, the aforementioned other videos must not be defamatory toward Kitamaesen and the taiko performance group Kodo, slander or insult others, or violate public order.
(9) Regarding the performance reference videos for Kodo One Earth Music referred to in Article 1, Item 2 that Kitamaesen created and made public on the Kodo One Earth Music webpage, their content may not be recorded or saved, nor may it be used for secondary purposes whether altered or not.
(10) In the event of using Kodo One Earth Music, users must not be defamatory toward Kitamaesen and the taiko performance group Kodo, nor use Kodo One Earth Music for the purpose of slandering or insulting others.
(11) Users shall not use Kodo One Earth Music in a situation that violates public order.
(12) In the event of using Kodo One Earth Music in such a way that violates the stipulations of these Terms, users shall immediately cease use of Kodo One Earth Music.
Article 4 (Exemption from Responsibility)
Kitamaesen does not make any guarantees in relation to Kodo One Earth Music, including non-infringement of third party rights, absence of defects, etc. Excluding cases of wilful intent or gross negligence, Kitamaesen takes no responsibility for any damage caused to users by these Terms or use of Kodo One Earth Music in accordance with these Terms.
Article 5 (Changes to Terms)
- Kitamaesen shall be able to change these Terms as required in the following cases:
(1) In the event of a change in Kitamaesen’s course of action in regards to Kodo One Earth Music;
(2) When a change to related laws and ordinance has occurred;
(3) When there is an error related to the legal interpretation or wording of the contents of these Terms;
(4) When a considerable loss for Kitamaesen occurs, or is liable to occur due to the contents of these Terms;
(5) Other cases, when Kitamaesen deems it necessary.
- In the event of changes to these Terms, Kitamaesen shall post the fact of the change, the contents of the change, and the effective date of the Terms after the change, on its website, etc., at least 7 days before the aforementioned effective date. Furthermore, if users commence use or continue use of Kodo One Earth Music after the aforementioned effective date, users will be deemed to have agreed to the changes to these Terms.
Article 6 (End of Provision)
- In regards to the authorized use of Kodo One Earth Music by users according to these Terms, Kitamaesen is able to terminate the aforementioned authorized use at its discretion at any time. In that situation, regarding the use of compositions for which authorized use has been terminated, the relationship between Kitamaesen and the users will be governed by the Copyright Act and other applicable laws and ordinances.
- Except in situations defined in the previous section, authorized use for Kodo One Earth Music according to these Terms shall terminate at the same time as the termination of the duration of the copyright rights under the copyright laws of the aforementioned Kodo One Earth Music.
- Kitamaesen will not be liable for any damage caused to users by the termination or similar of authorized use for Kodo One Earth Music according to these Terms.
Article 7 (Jurisdiction)
The first court of jurisdiction for any dispute regarding these Terms shall be the Niigata District Court, Japan.
Introducing Kodo One Earth Music Debut Piece “Shunpuu”
Shunpuu ya, toshi idakite, oka ni tatsu
A haiku by Kyoshi Takahama
(Translation: Spring wind, fighting spirit, standing thus on a hill)
When I was a student, I happened upon this haiku and, for some reason or other, it stayed with me. I used the theme of this poem to compose “Shunpuu.” The haiku is filled with determination that gives the reader a sense of bravery, and even breeziness. I hope people feel powerful and invigorated when they play Shunpuu and when they hear it.
I’d like to take this opportunity to share a few of my thoughts about this new initiative, Kodo One Earth Music. In the taiko community right now, there seems to be a lot of people who learn from one master or teacher. So when it comes to playing a song that someone else created, they may feel a little reluctant for reasons other than performance rights. I hope sharing pieces that anyone is free to play helps remove those invisible barriers. When we perform other people’s compositions, we can experience different values. So little by little, if taiko players exchange their values and feelings, I believe this will lead to the future development of taiko music.
You can’t talk about taiko in terms of relative merit. Just because someone’s taiko playing is technically accomplished, that doesn’t mean it’s enjoyable. And not all musical taiko pieces or performances induce strong emotions. So as taiko players, what should we do? What should we learn and share through this unique instrument? I want us all to sense, think, and discuss that together while we enjoy playing taiko. I’ve put those hopes into this piece that I’ve shared with you all.
Yuta Sumiyoshi (Composer)
Kodo Taiko Performing Arts Ensemble
Kodo One Earth Music Usage Guidelines
Before you play Kodo One Earth Music, please read and follow the guidelines below.
Feel free to:
- take videos and photos when you practice/perform this music.
- share your practice/performance videos and photos online via social media or video sharing sites.
- include this music in a program comprised of multiple pieces for a free or paid performance
*Please credit the piece as “Shunpuu”/”Uneri,” composed by Kodo in writing or verbally at the performance.
- download the musical score from this website and duplicate it.
- change the instrument formation to suit the group who plays it.
- arrange the piece in ways that maintain the integrity of the original: e.g. by changing the number of times a phrase is played, solo parts, the rhythm, etc., to suit the level of the group performing it.
- alter the musical score to reflect the permitted arrangements listed above, and duplicate the arranged score.
- use a recording of your own performance of the music as background music for a video you film for online use.
Please do not:
- change the title
- make or perform arrangements that do not maintain the original integrity of the piece, or alter the score to reflect such arrangements.
- perform Kodo One Earth Music at a paid performance or recital comprising only of Kodo pieces.
- edit or reuse/repurpose the audio or video recordings of Kodo One Earth Music shared on this webpage.
Inquiries about Kodo One Earth MusicQuestions about Kodo One Earth Music? Contact us using this form.
Header Photo: Members of Shido, Mihara-shichi Elementary School (Awaji Island, Hyogo), performing with Kodo.