Uncover the scintillating sounds
of the universe
In recent years, Yuichiro Funabashi has held the creative reins at Kodo, directing the main touring productions, while Yuta Sumiyoshi has composed many of the new pieces at the heart of those works. In 2022, they teamed up to produce Cycles, an ambitious, innovative work featuring all new compositions.
Cycles explores the ever-changing rhythms of the natural world. The rising and setting of the sun. The rise and fall of the tides. The waxing and waning of the moon.
In this work, Kodo endeavors to capture the feeling of extensive natural cycles with taiko music, unearthing the rhythms within the various phases along the way. Following on from its premiere tour late last year, Cycles will tour further throughout Japan in Spring 2023. Come and experience this innovative taiko music with your whole body at a theater near you.
●Artistic Director: Yuichiro Funabashi
●Music Director: Yuta Sumiyoshi
●Cast*: Kenta Nakagome, Yuta Sumiyoshi, Reo Kitabayashi, Mizuki Yoneyama, Issei Kohira, Masayasu Maeda, Seita Saegusa, Chihiro Watanabe, Taiyo Onoda, Sho Nakatani, Jumpei Nonaka, et al.
*Subject to change without notice.
Photos: Takashi Okamoto, Katsumi Omori
Art Director: Hiroomi Hattori (COM Works)
- May 20 (Sat), 2023 Sagami Women's University Green Hall (Main Hall), Sagamihara, Kanagawa
- May 21 (Sun), 2023 Yokosuka Arts Theatre, Yokosuka, Kanagawa
- May 27 (Sat), 2023 Rune Kodaira (Kodaira Citizens Cultural Hall) Main Hall, Kodaira, Tokyo [SOLD OUT]
- May 28 (Sun), 2023 Tokyo Electron Nirasaki Arts Hall (Main Hall), Nirasaki, Yamanashi
- Jun 3 (Sat), 2023 Tatebayashi City Cultural Center Calpis Hall, Tatebayashi, Gunma
- Jun 4 (Sun), 2023 Joetsu Cultural Center (Main Hall), Joetsu, Niigata [SOLD OUT]