Soul-Stirring, Resounding Kodo
Rousing, Resonant Taiko
Herein Lies the Essence of Kodo
“Michi” means a road or path. This performance is based on the core repertoire that Kodo has upheld for almost half a century, since the days of its antecedent group, Sado no Kuni Ondekoza (1971-81).
Michi focuses on preserving Kodo’s unique “DNA” by drawing on the iconic form found within classic Kodo repertoire and carefully sharing the essence of those traditions with the next generation.
Under the direction of Kodo Ensemble Leader Yuichiro Funabashi, the 2019 season of “Michi” will tour throughout Japan in May, June, and September through December.
Taiko is a simple instrument: if you beat it, it makes a sound. However, the sounds and echoes that resonate from this instrument are intricate and diverse. No two are alike.
Naturally, the sound reflects things like the physique, age, and background of the individual who beats the drum.
So, when people who train everyday to hone their expression through kind of instrument, the sound they create jolts people on instinctive level, beyond the possibilities of any language.“Michi,” centers around the repertoire that we, Kodo, have upheld for almost half a century since the days of our antecedent group, Sado no Kuni Ondekoza.
While preserving some of the classic artistic elements that are “quintessential Kodo,” we will also lay cornerstones for brand new creative activities moving forward.To uphold classics simultaneously means to change, and that requires supple bodies and thinking.
We seek the true essence of the classics we uphold, treasuring the journey along the road as we go back and forth, over and over, between the past and present.This performance is something you can only experience in person, here and now.Soul-stirring, resounding Kodo
Yuichiro Funabashi, Director
Yuichiro Funabashi (Kodo Ensemble Leader)
To include Miyake, Monochrome, O-daiko, Yatai-bayashi, and more.
Photos: Takashi Okamoto
This tour is supported by:
Performing Arts Promotion Subsidiary Aid from Agency for Cultural Affairs, Government of Japan
(Theater and Concert Hall Functional Enhancement Promotion Project)
Japan Arts Council
- Nov 20 (Wed), 2019 Amusement Sado Main Hall, Sado Island, Niigata
- Nov 23 (Sat), 2019 Kamisu-shi Bunka Center Main Hall, Kamisu, Ibaraki
- Nov 24 (Sun), 2019 Yachiyo-shi Civic Center Main Hall, Yachiyo, Chiba
- Nov 30 (Sat), 2019 Nagaoka Municipal Auditorium Main Hall, Nagaoka, Niigata SOLD OUT
- Dec 1 (Sun), 2019 Niigata Prefectural Civic Center Large Hall, Niigata City
- Dec 6 (Fri), 2019 Chigasaki Hall Main Hall, Chigasaki, Kanagawa
- Dec 8 (Sun), 2019 Sagami Women's University Green Hall Main Hall, Sagamihara, Kanagawa
- Dec 14 (Sat), 2019 - Dec 15 (Sun), 2019 Kyoto Performing Arts Center Shunjuza, Kyoto City
- Dec 18 (Wed), 2019 - Dec 22 (Sun), 2019 Bunkyo Civic Hall Main Hall, Bunkyo Ward, Tokyo