Apr. 12, 2016
Kodo 35th Anniversary Commemorative Concert
We have begun rehearsals on Sado for our upcoming “Kodo 35th Anniversary Commemorative Concerts” that will take place at Suntory Hall in Tokyo this August.
These past few days we welcomed two composers, Mr. Toshiro Saruya & Mr. Sunao Isaji, and conductor Mr. Tatsuya Shimono to Kodo Village to rehearse for the first concert’s orchestra collaboration entitled –Deai– (Encounters).
When we rehearse for orchestra collaborations, we have to be more attentive than usual to our rhythm and tone, and follow the detailed sheet music with absolute accuracy, and keep an eye on the conductor… so we use a lot of different nerves that we don’t usually exercise on stage. We were all frantically trying to keep up the whole time.
The composers and conductor taught us attentively, and with great detail, how to practice and express classical music, the way sound is created in these compositions, and more. Through their teaching I felt a renewed sense of wonder at the endless span, bottomless depths, and sheer enjoyment of the world of music.
It is now 40 years since the first ever performance of “Mono-Prism,” which Maki Ishii composed for especially for taiko and orchestra. This year, two new taiko and orchestra pieces have been created by two different composers and the world premiere of both works will take place at Suntory Hall this August. This is the one and only performance planned featuring these two new pieces!
Kodo 35th Anniversary Commemorative Concerts
Aug. 18 (Thu), 19 (Fri), 20 (Sat), 2016 Suntory Hall, Tokyo
Aug. 18 (Thu) First Night ‒Deai‒ (Encounters)
Featuring: Kodo, New Japan Philharmonic / Conductor: Tatsuya Shimono
Aug. 19 (Fri) Second Night ‒Spiral‒
Director: Tamasaburo Bando / Featuring: Kodo
Aug. 20 (Sat) Third Night ‒Hisho‒ (Soaring)
Director: Tamasaburo Bando / Featuring: Kodo with guest artists Blue Tokyo & Dazzle
- Ticket Space Tel. 03-3234-9999 (Mon–Sat 10:00–12:00, 13:00–18:00)
- Suntory Hall Ticket Center Tel. 0570-55-0017
- Ticket Pia Tel. 0570-02-9999 [P-code: 286-898] http://pia.jp/
- e+ (e plus) http://eplus.jp/
- Lawson Ticket Tel. 0570-000-407 (Operator 10:00–20:00) Tel. 0570-084-003 [L-code: 30118] http://l-tike.com/
- Seven Ticket http://7ticket.jp/ Tickets available from multi-copy machines at Seven Eleven stores nationwide.
- Tokyo Bunka Kaikan Ticket Service Tel. 03-5685-0650