Sado Island Taiko Centre May Festival "Tatakokan Satsuki Matsuri"
Back to Past "News" Pages
Situated next to Kodo Village on a hilltop with amazing views, Sado Island Taiko Centre (Tatakokan) will host its annual May Festival again this spring. Won't you come and visit Kodo's base on Sado Island?
The first part offers a market full of freshly harvested spring delicacies from the Ogi Peninsula, Sado Performing Arts, and creative hands-on activities. It's a fun all-day event for the whole family to enjoy. Some performances will invite the audience to take part, so come along and play. The Ogi Misaki Café will serve handmade soba noodles and a seasonal rice bowl dish with fresh local toppings.
The second part will take the fun to another venue, Fukaura Primary School which closed in March, where we'll hold a Kodo Workshop-Performance. It's just a 10-min walk from the Tatakokan towards Sawasaki Lighthouse.
We hope tourists on Sado and locals with their relatives visiting for the holidays will all join us for this entertaining day.
Tatakokan Satsuki Matsuri
May 4 (Wed/Public Hol.) First Part
Sado Island Taiko Centre (Tatakokan), Sado, Niigata
- 10:00 - 14:30
- Performing Arts – 10:00 Shinchan-Sensei / 11:00 Mushimon-za (Bunya Puppets) / 12:00 Ogi Story Tellers / 13:00 Kodo Apprentices / 14:00 Ogi Matsuri Taiko (Participatory)
Craft Activities – Craft, Sashiko Embroidery, clay figurine painting
Food – Ogi Misaki Café (Handmade soba noodles, squid-ball rice bowl, etc), Ogi Peninsula Mini Spring Harvest Market
May 4 (Wed/Public Hol.) Second Part Kodo Workshop-Performance
Former Fukaura Primary School Gymnasium (10 mins. on foot from Tatakokan), Sado, Niigata
- Doors Open: 15:15, Start: 15:30 (1 hour program)
- Masami Miyazaki, Ayako Onizawa, Kenzo Abe, Masayuki Sakamoto, Tsuyoshi Maeda, Yosuke Kusa, Shogo Komatsuzaki
- Adults 1,200 yen, ages 12-17 800 yen, ages 11 & under are free
- 5% of the admission price to this Kodo Workshop-Performance will be donated to the Fukaura Primary School Utilization Committee to run the former Fukaura Primary School gymnasium. Also, we will have a Tohoku Pacific Earthquake donation collection box at the venue on the day, and the Kodo Cultural Foundation will send all contributions gathered to the Japanese Red Cross Society.
- Sado Island Taiko Centre (Tatakokan)
Tel. 0259-86-2320 E-mail email@example.com