“Kodo Sado Island Performances in Shukunegi 2022” by Jun Jidai
Kodo’s annual performances in Shukunegi first began in 2012, back when I was still a Kodo apprentice. The apprentices all joined the Kodo members, staff, and Shukunegi locals to get ready for the performances and it felt like creating something together from square one: spring cleaning the hall, hanging the back drops, cutting down bamboo and using it to put up the concert flags.
Kodo now has a decade’s worth of experiences at this place, and I feel so happy that we’re back here again this year.
There is so much going on right now all over the world, and here in Japan. It feels like we’re living our usual daily lives with chaos either close by, or all around us.
It makes me think…what can we do as taiko players?
What should artists share in times like these?
Tomorrow is uncertain, but I’ve made it to tomorrow each day thus far. So I want to keep creating and expressing myself as an artist, giving my all each day.
I want to express what it means to be born in this era, and what I’m doing with Kodo now.
I want to turn that into power that helps get us all through to “tomorrow” again.
I want to take all the moments when I laugh and feel excited and deeply moved, and pack them all into this performance with along with my gratitude.
I sincerely hope that our performances bring the joy of spring and the sounds of Shukunegi to many people.
Kodo Sado Island Performances in Shukunegi (2022)
Apr 29 (Fri)–May 7 (Sat), 2022 Shukunegi Community Hall, Ogi Peninsula, Sado Island, Niigata
Dates & Times
- Apr 29 (Fri) 14:30 [O-daiko: Yoshikazu Fujimoto]
- Apr 30 (Sat) 11:00 [O-daiko: Tomohiro Mitome]
- Apr 30 (Sat) 14:30 [O-daiko: Yoshikazu Fujimoto]
- May 1 (Sun) 11:00 [O-daiko: Tomohiro Mitome]
- May 2 (Mon) DARK
- May 3 (Tue) 14:30 [O-daiko: Yoshikazu Fujimoto]
- May 4 (Wed) 11:00 [O-daiko: Tomohiro Mitome]
- May 4 (Wed) 14:30 [O-daiko: Yoshikazu Fujimoto]
- May 5 (Thu) 11:00 [O-daiko: Tomohiro Mitome]
- May 6 (Fri) DARK
- May 7 (Sat) 11:00 [O-daiko: Yoshikazu Fujimoto]
- May 7 (Sat) 14:30 [O-daiko: Tomohiro Mitome]