Always with a smiling face and teeming with exuberance, everyone knows when Eiichi Saito is on stage. Bringing that same infectious energy to his workshops, Eiichi's Kodo Juku taiko workshops have come to be the crux of his life's work.
In 2016, Saito's "Kodo Juku" will be held in October at Kodo Apprentice Centre on Sado Island, where most of Kodo's current stage members spent two years training before their selection to join the ensemble. Come along to get back to basics, play taiko all day long as you experience the daily life of a Kodo apprentice on beautiful Sado Island. Kodo Juku promises to be a short respite from the daily grind where you'll meet new people and experience the joy of truly playing in unison. You'll also get to know the Kodo's next-generation hopefuls: the second-year apprentices, who will act as staff at the event. This is a once-in-a-lifetime experience limited to first-time participants only. We hope you'll come along!
*Note: This workshop will be conducted in Japanese only.
Kodo Juku 2016 Details
Oct. 7 (Fri)–10 (Mon/Public Hol.), 2016 Kodo Apprentice Centre, 885 Kakinoura, Sado Island, Niigata
- Eiichi Saito (Kodo) *This workshop will be conducted in Japanese.
- 55,000 yen (incl. tax) *Kodo no Kai Members pay 50,000 yen
(Four-day/three-night camp. Fee incl. workshop instruction, drumsticks, accommodations, meals, & insurance)
- Ages 15 & up (Groups of 2 or more people can not take part). Please note that people who reside in Japan are given priority in selection.
- 20 people
- Application Deadline:
- Applications must be received by July 30 (Sat).
- Application Method:
- Please apply via postcard, fax, or email with the title/subject "Eiichi Saito's Taiko Workshop Kodo Juku 2016" and include the following details: your name, address, age, gender, email address, phone number, occupation, musical experience, and most importantly your reason for wanting to take part in Kodo Juku. If there are more applicants than spaces available, participants will be chosen by lottery. We will notify applicants of the results by Aug. 10.
- Send to:
- Ms. M. Chida, Kodo Cultural Foundation, 148-1 Ogi Kanetashinden, Sado, Niigata 952-0611, Japan
- Ms. M. Chida, Kodo Cultural Foundation Email: email@example.com