Applications for the 2018 intake are now open.
Application Period: July 6 (Thu)–Nov. 10 (Fri), 2017
*Note: Applications must be received by Nov. 10
Apprentice Programme Dates:
Apr. 2018–Jan. 2020 (22-month course)
12 people max.
Training & Lodging Facility:
Kodo Apprentice Centre (Kakinoura, Sado Is., Niigata)
- You may apply if you:
- wish to become a member of taiko performing arts ensemble “Kodo,” and
- are a healthy person aged 18–25 (as of Apr. 1, 2018), who is physically & mentally fit enough to undertake both the apprenticeship training and communal lifestyle, and
- have advanced Japanese language skills, which are required to comprehend all instruction and lectures.
Please note that any individual who meets the above criteria is welcome to apply, regardless of their gender, background, experience, and nationality.
Please send an email or postcard stating your full name, date of birth, age, nationality, gender, address, telephone number, email address, and occupation (if you are a student, please state your school name and school year) to the Kodo Apprentice Centre to request an application pack.
Please read carefully through the information supplied, then send in the following documents to apply to the programme:
- 1. Your resume
- *On the form supplied
- 2. Statement of health from a physician (showing you are fit for exercise)
- Main details required:
1. Medical history, employment history, smoking history
2. Any subjective or objective symptoms noted by physician
3. Height, weight, chest girth, eyesight, hearing ability
4. Chest x-ray
5. Blood pressure
6. Urine analysis
*A copy of physical test results from your school or employer dated April 2017 or later is acceptable.
- 3. Three essays:
- * “What I hope to learn at the Kodo Apprentice Centre.”
- * “What I will aim for on the Kodo stage.”
- * “My thoughts on the book ‘Inochi Moyashite, Tatakeyo. – 30 Years of Kodo -‘”
Please share your thoughts on Kodo’s history and your impressions of the group through your own experiences of Kodo’s performance activities, etc.
(Essays must be written on the supplied forms)
Kodo Online Store (Japanese) | “Inochi Moyashite, Tatakeyo. – 30 Years of Kodo -”
All prospective apprentices are asked to read this book before they apply to the programme, so they understand Kodo’s beginnings and background.
Apprentice Centre Trial Visits
Trial visits can be arranged for future applicants. You can ask to schedule one by contacting Kodo Apprentice Centre. Details of a standard trial stay are listed below.
Apprentice Centre Trial Visit (Standard trial is two days & one night)
- [Day 1]
- PM: Arrive at Apprentice Centre.
Observation of apprentice practice and tour of facilities, meal duty experience, explanation of apprenticeship, observation of individual practice, talk to apprentices, stay overnight at Centre. (Go to sleep at 22:00)
- [Day 2]
- AM: Get up at 5:00.
Morning training experience, Apprentice Centre cleaning, agricultural work hands-on experience, observation of practice.
Depart from Apprentice Centre around noon.
- Day visits with no stay are also possible. (Observation and experience contents will be adjusted to suit your timeframe.) Please note that a fee of 3,000 yen will be charged for Trial Visits.
Kodo Cultural Foundation Apprentice Centre
Attention: Yasuhiko Ishihara (Mr.), Yasuko Honma (Ms.)c/- Sado Island Taiko Centre, 150-3 Ogi Kanetashinden, Sado, Niigata 952-0611, Japan Tel. 0259-86-2320 (Add +81 from outside Japan, 9:00–17:00 [JST/GMT +9], closed Mondays.) Email: email@example.com Please include your name and contact telephone number (with country & area codes) with your inquiry, as sometimes a reply by email is not possible due to system errors. Thank you.