Applications for the 2017 intake have closed.
Apprentice Programme Dates:
Apr. 2017–Jan. 2019 (22-month course)
12 people max.
Training & Lodging Facility:
Kodo Apprentice Centre (Kakinoura, Sado Is., Niigata)
- You may apply if you:
- wish to become a member of taiko performing arts ensemble “Kodo.”
- are a healthy person aged 18 – 25 (as of Apr. 1, 2017), who is physically & mentally fit enough to undertake both the apprenticeship training and communal lifestyle.
- have advanced Japanese language skills, which are required to comprehend all instruction and lectures.
Please note that men and women of all backgrounds, experiences and nationalities are welcome.
Please send an email or postcard stating your name, age, address, nationality, telephone number, email address, and occupation to the Kodo Apprentice Centre to request an application pack.
Please read carefully through the information supplied, then send in the following documents to apply to the programme:
- 1. Your resume
- *On designated form
- 2. Statement of health from a physician (showing you are fit for exercise)
- Main details required:
1. Medical history, employment history, smoking history
2. Any subjective or objective symptoms noted by physician
3. Height, weight, chest girth, eyesight, hearing ability
4. Chest x-ray
5. Blood pressure
6. Urine analysis
*A copy of physical test results from your school or employer dated April 2016 or later is acceptable.
- 3. Three essays:
- “What I hope to learn at the Kodo Apprentice Centre,” “My aims on the Kodo stage,” and “My thoughts on the book ‘Inochi Moyashite, Tatakeyo. – 30 Years of Kodo -‘” (Must be written on designated forms)
Applications are accepted every October, interviews are held the following January, and the course begins in April for successful candidates.
Apprentice Centre Trial Visits
Trial visits can be arranged for future applicants. You can schedule one by contacting the Apprentice Centre. Details of a standard trial stay are listed below.
Apprentice Centre Trial Visit (Standard trial is two days & one night)
- [Day 1]
- PM: Arrive at Apprentice Centre
Observation of apprentice practice and tour of facilities, meal duty experience, explanation of apprenticeship, observation of individual practice, talk to apprentices, stay overnight at Centre.
- [Day 2]
- AM: Morning training experience, Apprentice Centre cleaning, agricultural work hands-on experience, practice observation.
Depart from Apprentice Centre around noon.
- Day visits with no stay are also possible. (Observation and experience contents will be adjusted to suit your timeframe.) Please note that a fee of 3,000 yen will be charged for Trial Visits.
Kodo Cultural Foundation Apprentice Centre
Yasuhiko <span=”lastname”>Ishihara885 Kakinoura, Sado, Niigata 952-0855, Japan Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Please include your name and contact telephone number (with country & area codes) with your inquiry, as sometimes a reply by email is not possible due to system errors. Thank you.