Individual Information Protection Policy
- In processing any personal information, Kodo pledges to fully comply with the all federal laws and local ordinances of Japan, and with internationally recognized standards of privacy protection.
- In so doing, Kodo ensures compliance by its entire staff with strict standards of security and confidentiality. The education and training of Kodo staff in this matter is to be overseen and implemented by a specified personal information administrator within Kodo.
- Before collecting personal information, Kodo will clarify the intended use of said information, and provide contact information customers can use for inquiries on this matter. (Provision of this information includes publishing on the Kodo website.) Kodo will handle all personal information provided by customers with strict confidence, as per the guidelines outlined in this Policy.
- Kodo is committed to protecting against unauthorized access, loss, falsification, destruction, and disclosure of personal information.
- Kodo continually updates and revises its management system used for the protection of personal information.
Definition of Personal Information
The term "personal information" as used in this Policy refers to data such as an individual's name, telephone number, e-mail address, street address, etc., as well as an individual's accounts or relationships with Kodo or other parties, that can be used to identify the individual (including information that can be readily matched with other information for the purpose of identifying the individual).
How Personal Information is Collected
In compliance with laws regarding personal information and the relevant standards, Kodo may appropriately collect personal information from customers in the following cases listed below. Kodo will never ask for information beyond the scope of the group's activities.
- When customers use the "Kodo Official Website," "Kodo Ticket Reservation Site," "Kodo Online Store" or "Otodaiku" website (hereafter referred to as "Kodo Websites").
- When customers respond to a written questionnaire provided at a concert by Kodo or Kodo members.
- Other cases where the customer inquires about or applies for a Kodo event or program.
- No personal information shall be collected from individuals thirteen (13) years of age or under without the consent of a legal guardian.
- When photographs, audio and video recordings are taken to record events and activities held by or featuring Kodo.
- When Kodo receives documents such as resumes from people wishing to become Kodo apprentices and staff.
- The acquisition and use of personal information by Kodo members and staff is regulated by separate specific in-house rules.
Intended Use of Personal Information
In order to provide services to customers, Kodo may keep a record of customers' personal information including name, address, telephone number, fax number, e-mail address, and responses to questionnaires, etc., to be used for the following purposes:
- In order to deliver merchandise to customers, or bill customers for merchandise or services delivered.
- In order to deliver our monthly newsletter to customers, or bill for Kodo no Kai membership.
- In order to provide customers with concert information, and/or new-merchandise and new-service information.
- In order to provide after-service for merchandise and services delivered.
- For marketing and sales promotions, and service improvement programs.
- In order to confirm a customer's purchase history.
- In order to respond to customers' inquiries and requests.
- Other cases when it is necessary for Kodo to contact a customer for a particular reason.
- In order to promote or record events held by Kodo or activities carried out by Kodo.
- In order to recruit apprentices and staff, and to employ new Kodo members.
Regarding the Disclosure of Personal Information to Third Parties
Kodo will not disclose personal information to a third party except in the following cases:
- Pursuant to a valid subpoena, court order or other official request from police or other public law-enforcement agency.
- When we have received the consent of the customer beforehand.
- In order to provide services promised to the customer, we may share information with an affiliated third party when necessary. (For example, Kodo sometimes provides presenters and concert halls with personal information so that they may provide information on concerts by Kodo or Kodo members.)
- In order to provide the customer with merchandise or services ordered, Kodo may disclose personal information to business partners, service providers or other parties entrusted to provide services on Kodo's behalf.
- In emergency situations involving potential threats to the physical safety of any person, and/or threats to the rights and property of any person.
In regard to items 3 and 4 above, in the instance where personal information in disclosed to an affiliated third party, said party will contract with the company that they will only use personal data for the agreed upon purpose, and will not disclose it to other parties. (Unless Kodo has contacted a customer about some specific predetermined exception, affiliated business partners will never use personal information for purposes other than those outlined above.)
Right of Access
Customers have the right to obtain confirmation concerning whether Kodo is holding or processing personal data relating to a customer, and confirmation concerning the use of the personal information collected. If such a request is made, Kodo requires that the customer or appropriate representative for the customer provide proof of identity.
However, Kodo cannot release the above-mentioned information in any of the following cases:
- If there is a threat to the rights or assets of the customer or any other individual.
- If the request presents considerable hindrance to Kodo's business operations.
- If there is a danger of volating any laws or ordinances, etc.
Furthermore, requests for notification or disclosure of information will be subject to a charge to cover actual costs.
Regarding Correction, Deletion, Cessation of Use, and Exclusion of Information Sharing
Kodo will make all efforts to promptly correct or delete any errors in collected personal information.
Further, with respect to such personal data which Kodo places in a systematic collection controlled by the company, the data subjects have the right to correct their personal data when the data are incorrect, or request cessation of use, deletion or exclusion from information sharing with third parties. In such a case, the request will be carried out promptly upon verification that the personal making the request is indeed the data subject.Please use the contact details below to make any requests of this nature.
However, Kodo will not delete the minimum personal information required to conduct normal business operations.
When using the "Kodo Ticket Reservation Site", users may at any time review or update personal information by logging in to the site. To protect user privacy and security, we will take reasonable steps to verify user identity before granting access or making corrections.
If at any time a customer wishes to quit "Kodo no Kai" or cease to receive our newsletter, etc., the customer can contact Kodo directly (contact information listed below) to make such requests.
Sharing of Personal Data Among the Kodo-Group Companies
The entirety of Kodo's business affairs is handled by the three organizations outlined below. Personal information collected by one company may be shared with other Kodo-Group companies, including Kodo, Taiko Performing Arts Ensemble.
Use of Internet-Based Technology to Collect Personal Data (Cookies)
The Kodo Ticket Reservation Site uses "cookies" to identify particular users. Cookies may be transmitted from the server of our website and stored in the personal computers of our site users.
- This enables us to provide users with better service for future visits to Kodo Websites. "Cookies" as used by the Kodo cannot be used to discover the identity of an individual user, nor cookies do not damage the user's computer.
Links to Other Websites
This Policy applies only to the Kodo Websites to the exclusion of third-party websites. Kodo may provide links to other websites which it believes may be of interest to visitors, and we aim to ensure that such websites are of the highest standard.
However, due to the nature of the World Wide Web, Kodo cannot guarantee the privacy standards of every website to which it links or be responsible for the contents of websites other than the Kodo Websites, and this Policy is not intended to be applicable to any linked, non-Kodo website.
A Caution to Our Customers
Kodo may at times ask for customers' personal information in order to provide its services, and Kodo will treat that information with the highest standard of confidentiality as described in this Policy. However, there are times when the information transmitted online, such as comments on or linked to Kodo's official SNS accounts, when personal information may be compromised to third parties without the knowledge of the user and/or Kodo.
Customers are asked to take the appropriate measures to make sure that online transmissions are secure and passwords are kept confidential.
Changes to this Policy
Anyone with inquiries about Kodo's compliance with this Policy should contact the Kodo Personal Information Administrator at:
- Tel. 0120-32-0015 (Toll-free number, for use in Japan only)
- From a mobile phone or outside Japan: Tel. +81-259-86-3630 (Mon–Fri, 9:30–17:00)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fax. +81-259-86-3631
- Kodo Personal Information Project: Kodo Village, 148-1 Ogi Kanetashinden, Sado, Niigata 952-0611, Japan
This document was created on April 1, 2005
Amended on October 4, 2006
Amended on April 1, 2008
Amended on June 1, 2009
Amended on Aug. 10, 2016
Kitamaesen, Co., Ltd.
Managing Director: Takao Aoki
Kodo Cultural Foundation
Chairman: Makoto Shimazaki
Otodaiku, Co., Ltd.
Managing Director: Takuro Susaki